Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Rocket Scientist Returns to the Fort

OK, so technically, I’m not a true rocket scientist, but I do act like one occasionally. I support NASA’s Space Shuttle program as engineering console support for missions in JSC’s Mission Evaluation Room (backroom to the Mission Control Center), prior to that I worked Shuttle Program Integration. NASA has been my life for the past 15 so years and I’ve worked many different projects, Shuttle being my latest and I plan to spend the last flight with her before heading to bigger and better things (I hope!). Last time I stayed at Fort Wilderness was 1989, after my high school graduation. At that time, my only future was gearing up for college. I had no idea 22 years later I would be working where I am, and married with 2 kids. Things change, don’t they?! Well, 22 years later, things have changed and they are good. I’m also turning 40 this year, along with Walt Disney World. I couldn’t think of a better place to celebrate my 40th than this place, and I chose to come back to the Fort to allow my kids to experience the place as I did. From 1971 to 1989 my family went to WDW between 7 to 8 times (I’ve lost track). Coming all the way from Texas and not flying, these trips were big adventures. We’d usually take 2 weeks for the trip in order to drive the truck pulling the RV. Except for the first two trips, we would stay at Fort Wilderness, so in a way, I grew up with place. The Fort was always a fun place to explore and run wild. Lots of things to see and do. Back then you could swim in the lake, go to River Country, ride the train, or visit Discovery Island. Alas, all those things are gone, but I am looking forward to new things, new adventures, and a new view of the Fort.  

No comments:

Post a Comment